Jul 11, 2013

Only a Ghost Doctor Can Treat Imaginary Flea Bites

The two-faced boy has been following me through the fog for two days. If only I could find a stone...

... Can't even scoop up a handful of sand. It vanishes, slips through my fingers, slips upward in tendrils like the smoke of a snuffed candle.

No weapons against him.

paintings on old books by
Ekaterina Panikanova

What if ghosts were affected by parasites, diseases of the spirit world?

I got started on Matt Ridley's The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature, and quite a few dozen pages deal with the evolutionary role of parasites and immune systems. I learned that frogs don't have an immune system, which I found quite surprising. [Correction: It appears that they do. Where did I get the idea that they don't?]*

Plants do not have immune systems, strictly speaking; they attack foreign bodies by means of chemical emissions.

*Yeah, my biology is rusty.

*

Great news: society6 is running an artist promotion again, so you can get free shipping on lots of great stuff  (prints, t-shirts, phone cases & skins) if you click my promotional code. Other great artists are participating, not just me. Offer expires July 14, 2013 at Midnight Pacific Time.


No comments:

Post a Comment