May 30, 2013

Dr. Gorki's Number One Life Tip

This week, Writing.ie challenges you to write a piece of flash-fic, under 50 words, without using the letter e. I submitted the snippet below (awaits approval at this writing):

Ian sights four land prawns at dusk. An orgy! Mating songs fill a tranquil twilight. Crouching in shadow, Ian aims his dart gun at an alpha prawn. Must hit a soft spot now. Bang! Oh. Ian's gun jams and bursts. Four hissing prawns, gigantic and furious, coming his way.

*

I'm publishing it here so it's governed by the general rules concerning prompts on my blog.
And why "land prawns," you ask? Well, before I googled the term, I had no idea the Doctor Who canon included land prawns. Yesterday I found this picture and it lingered in the back of my mind:

Does anyone know what this is?

Oh, but lest I forget. Dr. Gorki's Number One Life Tip: Mess with land prawns at your own risk. 

Elsewhere on the tubes:
1. How does the act of writing affect your brain? - from VisualNews, the cure for eyeball boredom.
2. Discover Magazine asks: Is the universe made of math?*
3. Gigantic land prawns are something of a biological impossibility: So are dragons.
4. If you want to protect and preserve your creativity, learn to say no.

*Imagine if you could wipe out famine forever by discovering the formula that creates churros out of thin air.

No comments:

Post a Comment