Mar 14, 2013

Dangerous Lives of the Millionaire Underground

The safe house is ten clicks behind us and I'm carrying way too much money.
To my companion, I whisper, "Listen. Can you tell I've got 10k under my left arm?"
"Shut up," she whispers back, "I see Educators up ahead."

*

For this prompt, I tried to imagine a future where wealth had been outlawed; a violent social contract where gradual change is eschewed in favor of radical methods.

I lean left on most political issues. I'd even espouse anarchism if I truly believed in a leaderless society, but the fact is leadership is written into our genes. Maybe our descendant AIs will be able to enjoy an almost perfectly non-hierarchical commonwealth, but that's a discussion for another day.

What I'm getting at is, I don't think the right or the left have come up with very good answers to the question of how we should run our lives and, if you push things too far in either direction, individuals don't stand a chance. Pure sociopaths then take center stage and poison the atmosphere. Everyone becomes a potential enemy of the state, no matter how slight the offense.

The most precious freedom of all is the freedom to be yourself. This includes the freedom to find or reinvent yourself.

*

Strange connections: I wonder if I'm the only one who can hear this. Listen to the three songs below. My brain tells me that Amanda Palmer's "In My Mind" comes from the space between Carl Orff's "Gassenhauer" and "The Fairest of the Seasons" by German model-turned-singer, Nico.

1. Amanda Palmer's "In my Mind."



2. Carl Orff's "Gassenhauer," which I first heard on a J&B commercial. I dismissed it at the time -- commercials tend to ruin everything they touch -- but then it resurfaced when I watched Terrence Malick's masterpiece, Badlands.



3. Nico, "The Fairest of the Seasons."



Fun fact: Andy Warhol imposed Nico on The Velvet Underground. That didn't sit too well with the band -- they'd been together for a couple of years now, and Nico was an outsider. Warhol probably found Moe Tucker too masculine, or not photogenic enough. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment