Oct 13, 2012

Andrew O'Phlegethon, You Really Make Haste to Fly

I was looking forward to October 31, 2121. You get a lot of attention when you agree to perform the first interplanetary, interspecies marriage in human history.

A piddling detail emerged, however. This was to be a collective marriage.

All of the Zvizenshapi* wanted to marry us. All of humanity.

Either that or total war with the Space Chair People.
Painting by Zdzislaw Beksinski.

Halloween's not for another couple of weeks, but I'm already celebrating. Now's the time to gather your loved ones around you and prepare to geek out, because I've got tons of Halloween recommendations for you.

(Do you get my updates via email or reader? Then you're missing out on my spiffy new Halloween theme for the blog.)

I got my title today from one of Poe's wickedest, funniest stories ever, "A Predicament." Said "predicament" will make a lot more sense if you read the companion piece first, "How to Write a Blackwood Article." It's Poe! It's free! What are you waiting for? Wait, come back, check out my recommendations first. Then you can do whatever you want. Except of course send me hate mail or that other thing they do in The Godfather. You know the thing.


MOVIES!

MASTERPIECES
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (imdb)
Metropolis (imdb)

GUILTY PLEASURES
Child's Play (imdb)
The Devil Rides Out (imdb)
Bad Taste (imdb)

MUSIC!

Spooky gothicky and shoegazy stuff, from Bauhaus to World of Skin via garage punk and early 4AD. 
Selection criteria:
- Would the song work in a horror movie?
- Does the video creep me out in a good way?
- Do I like the song?

Chelsea Wolfe's video is a little horror movie unto itself.

Same criteria, but this playlist is for the adventurous. Don't say I didn't warn you. 

BLOG POSTS!

Because this is, first and foremost, a writing blog. 
Twist ending tips by Harlan Coben
How to write horror by Lily Childs

Bonus: Horror tropes on TvTropes

*I enjoy making up silly names for alien species.

No comments:

Post a Comment