Dec 27, 2011

Interview with Jessica McHugh, tireless author of speculative fiction

Courtesy of Jessica McHugh
Meet Jessica McHugh, Honorable Mention of the 200-word flash fiction challenge I issued November 2011. Her story, "Model Citizen," is here

1. Can you define yourself in three words?
Weirdo Writer Chick.

2. Do you have a hero? Maybe an idol? Who is it? 
Do fictional characters count? I definitely idolize Hank Moody from Californication. If I was a single, male writer, I'd want to be just like him: raucous and debauched. But since I'm not single or male and fictional characters probably aren't great idols, I'll go with Roald Dahl. His books inspired me to become a writer. Even though our writing styles couldn't be more different, I really admire the courage, drive, and love of pushing boundaries he had in life.

3. If you were a Star Wars/Star Trek character, who would you be?
Based on my previous declaration of love regarding Hank Moody, you have to know I'd be Han Solo. And I'd shoot first. 

4. Superman loses his powers when he's exposed to kryptonite. Is there such a thing as 'writer kryptonite'? How do you overcome its effects?
Absolutely. I call it 'Mighty Tendonity' -- a.k.a. tendinitis. I get it really bad in my right hand and it makes it difficult to grip a pen. The worst part is that it affects my physical ability to write (typing is significantly slowed) but my brain keeps telling me I should be writing. The ideas and need to write don't stop, so I sometimes force myself to work through the pain because the story build-up in my brain is somehow more painful. 

5. Have you ever finished a book and wished you had written it? What was it? 
Lots of them! On two opposite ends of the spectrum, I wish I'd written The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi as well as Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis.

***
 
Jessica McHugh is an author of speculative fiction that runs the gamut from horror and alternate history to epic fantasy. A prolific writer, she has devoted herself to novels, short stories, poetry, and playwriting. She has had ten books published in three years, including Rabbits in the Garden; The Sky: The World; and the first three installments in her Tales of Dominhydor series. More info on Jessica's speculations and publications can be found at JessicaMcHughBooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment